Miscellaneous / FAQ

The city of Munich is the state capital of Bavaria and has a population of 1.3 million. It is located in the centre of Europe close to the Bavarian Alps in the southern part of Germany at the river “Isar”. Around 100.000 students are matriculated in Munich’s two main universities, the Technical University and Ludwig Maximilians University as well as several colleges. Over the last four decades Munich has turned into one of Europe's leading regions of science and economy. Many high-tech firms have their German or European head offices in the Munich area. The city is home to one of the most prominent German car manufactures, BMW, and large international companies like Siemens, MAN, DASA, Aerospace etc. Munich airport is one of Germany’s busiest international airports and is well accessible by Public transportation. Garching is a suburb at the north border of Munich about 35 minutes from the centre by tube (U-Bahn) and bus.

Munich is located in a moderate climatic zone and therefore has neither an extremely cold winter nor an extremely hot summer.

Culture and Living in Munich
Munich offers a wide variety of cultural activities with over a hundred museums and galleries to choose from. Of particular interest are the galleries of the Old, the New and the Modern Pinakothek, the Deutsches Museum, the largest science museum in Europe. The National Theater (Nationaltheater), the legendary Kammerspiele and the opera and the symphony offer excellent performances. Restaurants and beer gardens are numerous all over the city but are particularly concentrated in the parts of the city called Schwabing and Haidhausen.

Places of common interest
In and around Munich you will find a great number of places of common interest, Castles, Mountains, Churches and Lakes, just a few kilometers away from Munich. The Olympiapark is the biggest sport and leisure park in Europe (85,000 m2). Alpine Skiing is available in the mountains 50 km south of the city. Every year in autumn people arrive from all over the world to visit the “Oktoberfest”, the famous Munich beer festival. It opens on the third weekend in September for 16 days.


How much is the scholarship?
Every student admitted to the excellence programme QCCC will receive a salary (appr. 1000 EUR (1/2 x BAT-IIa) in the first two years and appr. 1500 EUR (3/4 x BAT-IIa) in the final year) covering living expenses in the Munich area.

I would like to apply for a summer internship only
Sorry, we don’t take externs. Our programme is designed for graduate students only.

I missed the first deadline. What can I do?
That’s not too bad luck. Joining the QCCC is possible during the first year. In any case, it is a good idea to register/apply early to maximise your chance to be admitted.

How can I apply?
If you want to apply for our PhD program, please fill in the necessary forms available from our web pages under "how to apply". A complete application must contain:

  1. a completed and signed application form (see page how to apply)
  2. a curriculum vitae in short form (see see page how to apply)
  3. a list of all courses taken at the university or college level
  4. copies of academic diplomas, including Master's degree (Diplomzeugnis)
  5. a certificate of proficiency in English, if available (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS). In any case, you must be fluent in both written and spoken English
  6. two letters of recommendation, mailed by your referees directly to the coordination office

What are the estimated living costs in Munich / Garching ?
The costs of living in Munich or Garching are approx. 800 EUR per month for a single person (accommodation, food, health insurance).

From where I will obtain my Ph.D. degree?
Typically the Technical University Munich and the Ludwig Maximilians University will confer the Ph.D. degree

Where can I get my visa?
You will get an official invitation letter (in English) and a letter for the German embassy of your country in German from the coordination office. This letter must be submitted to the German embassy or a German consulate in your home country. Provided your visa application is complete, you will obtain your visa within a few days up to 2 months. In case problems arise please inform the coordination office.

Can I apply for a tourist visa?
Do I need my MSc already when I send my application? You don’t need your MSc at that time. But you must present your MSc when you start your Ph.D. at QCCC.

Can I apply for a tourist visa?
Can I apply for a tourist visa? You can use a tourist visa only for the interview. If you arrive in Munich with a tourist visa to start your studies, you have to leave Germany again and apply for an appropriate visa in your home country.

The German embassy told me that I need no visa.
That is correct for EU countries and for some other countries (e.g. U.S.A., Canada, Mexico). People from these countries can apply for a residence permit (neither a work nor a tourist visa ! ) during the first three months of their stay in Germany.

Who will help me to find accommodation?
Who will help me to find accommodation? Please inform us as soon as you have got your visa and tell us the exact date of your arrival in Munich. For the first two months we will try to arrange accommodation in our guesthouse or in a hotel near the institutes. We will try to assist you in finding accommodation.

Can I apply without a TOEFL?
TOEFL is not absolutely required, but it may well improve your chance of acceptance. In any case, you are expected to be fluent in written and spoken English.

Are the lectures in English or in German?
The medium of all instruction is English; all the QCCC curriculum and examinations are in English, too.

What do I need to bring?
You need your visa, passport and all your original certificates. All other administrative issues can be dealt with once you've arrived here.